Saturday, June 14, 2014

Abstract Gardening

I enjoy a good garden of flowers and having them hang from structures or trees is one of my favourite methods of displaying them. But I can't always have a hanging basket so I tried something different. I have three large trees in my backyard, one of which has a few forks in the trunk. With an Alyssum seedling, I created a barrier on the lower end of the fork, placed the seedling within it and filled the remaining space with soil.




















With time and sufficient watering, I made sure that the soil wasn't being drained out of the bottom. The result has been the most flourishing seedling of the batch that I planted. It may be due to the fact that it had to grow to reach around the trunk to get sunlight, but even after it accomplished that feat, it has continued to thrive. The plant really seems to enjoy the secluded home.
  

This experiment works well with hardy plants and for people who want to have flowers growing in trees but don't want to pay the expensive amount for an orchid.

No comments:

Post a Comment